The Maori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act 2004 established the Maori Commercial Aquaculture Settlement Trust. This trust operates under the working name of the Takutai Trust, which is a subsidiary of Te Ohu Kaimoana Trustee Limited. The Trust is responsible for receiving aquaculture settlement assets from the Crown or regional councils, and allocating these assets to iwi, via Iwi Aquaculture Organisations.
The duties of the Takutai Trust are:
- Allocating and transferring settlement assets
- Holding and administering settlement assets pending their allocation and transfer
- Determining allocation entitlements
- Maintain an iwi aquaculture register and providing access to the register
- Facilitating steps by iwi organisations to be recognised as iwi aquaculture organisations
- Facilitating steps by iwi aquaculture organisations to reach agreement
- Notifying coastal endpoints in the Gazette
Takutai Trust - Governance Relationship Structure
If you would like to talk to anyone in the Takutai Team, please call 04 931 9500 or visit the ‘contact us’ tab.